September 10, 2010

The List

So here they all are. I was debating whether or not to put up a list (mainly because of how long it would take to type it up, my fingers are killing me) but I thought this way you, faithful readers, can give me advice about what I should read next. If, however, you can say with certainty that something on this list is utter crap, please keep it to yourself!

This list will shrink with time, I'll edit out the stuff I read as I finish them.

Herbert Asbury, The Gangs of New York

Shalom Auslander, Hope: A Tragedy

Jane Austen, Shorter Works

J.G. Ballard, The Drowned World

J.G. Ballard, Rushing to Paradise

J.G. Ballard, Cocaine Nights

Nicola Barker, Darkmans

James Blish, Cities in Flight

John Boyne, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita

Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

Steven Carroll, The Gift of Speed

Chris Cleave, The Other Hand

Wilkie Collins, The Woman in White

John Connolly, The Book of Lost Things

Robert Coover, Pricksongs & Descants

Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

Cory Doctorow, Little Brother

Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Michel Faber, The Fahrenheit Twins

Michel Faber, The Fire Gospel

Ian Fleming, James Bond Collection

Jonathan Franzen, Strong Motion

L.R. Fredericks, Farundell

Helen Garner, Postcards from Surfers

William Golding, The Inheritors

William Golding, The Spire

Gunter Grass, The Danzig Trilogy

Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Joseph Heller, Closing Time

Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

Homer, The Odyssey

Aldous Huxley, After Many a Summer Dies the Swan

Roy Jacobsen, The Burnt-out Town of Miracles

Marlon James, A Brief History of Seven Killings

Elfriede Jelinek, The Piano Teacher

Franz Kafka, Metamorphosis and Other Stories

Naomi Klein, No Logo

Christopher Koch, Out of Ireland

Christoper Kremmer, The Carpet Wars

Doris Lessing, Shikasta

Jonathan Lethem, You Don’t Love Me Yet

Andrew McGahan, Praise

Alister MacLeod, Island

Norman Mailer, The Fight

Javier Marias, Your Face Tomorrow trilogy

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

Christine Montross, Falling Into the Fire

Richard Morgan, Altered Carbon

Haruki Murakami, Birthday Stories

David Nicholls, One Day

Anais Nin, Delta of Venus

George Orwell, Keep the Aspidistra Flying

George Orwell, Coming Up For Air

Elliot Perlman, Seven Types of Ambiguity

Tom Perotta, Little Children

Christopher Priest, Fugue for a Darkening Island

Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Thomas Pynchon, V

Simon Reeve, One Day in September

Jose Saramago, Seeing

Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Peter Singer, One World

Michael Steen, The Lives of the Great Composers

Neal Stephenson, Zodiac

Neal Stephenson, Anathem

Jacqueline Sussan, The Valley of the Dolls

Jean Teule, Eat Him If You Like

Marcel Theroux, Far North

Barry Unsworth, Sacred Hunger

Kurt Vonnegut, Cat’s Cradle

H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds

Kate Worsley, She Rises

John Wyndham, Chocky

Arnold Zable, Jewels and Ashes

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

Yep, I'm pretty intimidated now.

Cheers, JC.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat's Cradle is really good - but being a Vonnegut fan i'm sure you already know it.

    The 3 Musketeer's was a brilliant movie and i'm still unsure as to why Oliver Platt never went on to be the next Julia Roberts, but i'm curious to hear how the actual story is and whether it's worth a look - if you're feeling like being a guinea pig...

    I recently saw my lovely girlfriend's youngest brother's school musical production of Les Miserables. Correction - i saw the first half.

    good luck and i hope my advice has helped, but i'm well aware that it probably hasn't!

    anyhoo, i'm off to Cambodia and Vietnam - hopefully see you in October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky bastard. Have fun.

    ('Have fun' ... that's gotta be the most obvious and easiest to follow advice in the history of the universe. I might as well have said 'Remember to breathe' or 'Left foot, then right foot' or 'Try not to be an elephant'. You get the idea.)

    Still, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, Dave Glenister here.

    Reading 'Revolutionary Road' at the moment. Having to wield in public a book with Leonardo DiCaprio's photo on the cover.

    My housemate is reading 'Cities in flight'. He has lent me Zelazny's 'Lord of light'. Struggling.

    You're going to review them as you read them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dave G, how are ya?

    Yeah, I'll be putting up reviews as I work my way through them. I can't promise enlightening critiques, but I'll try. 'Lord of Light' sounds pretty out there, but not necessarily in a good way ... there's a few on here that I'm not really looking forward to, and that's one of them! I just need to make sure to space those out, I don't want to hit the last 20 books and find I don't want to read a single bloody thing!

    (And yeah, gotta admit I'm pretty glad to have a non-Leo-ised version of 'Rev Road' ... although I wouldn't say no to Kate Winslet)

    ReplyDelete