October 6, 2010

I'm Like Jesus

So a pretty amazing thing has happened.

At work, we have a huge number of very loyal customers, who come in all the time and buy fuck-loads of books. It's great, because we get to know them and we can chat to them about what we're reading and what they're reading. It's like a closed loop of nerdy-jabbering-about-books, until eventually every staff member knows everything there is to know about every book that ever existed (in theory --- in practice, we're still working on it).

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, one of our best customers was moaning about how many books she owns that she's never read. Take her moaning with a pinch of salt, because after all, she was in a friggin' bookstore at the the time. I wasn't there, but one of my esteemed colleagues took the opportunity to tell our moaning customer about this little project of mine: only buy one book for every ten you read, and eventually you'll be able to look at your library and say 'I have defeated you, mwahahahaha' ... and if, after that, you put on a glove made of metal and stroke a malicious-looking cat while plotting world domination, surely nobody could begrudge you.

Once she'd heard about it (the read-ten/buy-one part, not the metal-glove/kill-everybody part), the customer loved the idea. And she's decided to do exactly the same thing herself.

Yep, I have a follower. An acolyte. A disciple.

I'm just like Jesus.

Don't tell my boss, though, because I don't think he'd be too happy to know that our customers are following my example and buying less books. If this catches on, I could single-handedly put us out of business! I guess if I get fired, I'll have more time to read ...

Cheers, JC


currently reading: A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz
books to go: 122

No comments:

Post a Comment